Wednesday 1 May 2013

Oh-Em-Gee FEMINISM (yes, you read right, I WENT THERE)


There are 91 definitions for "feminism" in Urban Dictionary.
Not that the said website is somewhat reliable or accurate,
but does that statistic itself show how controversial and varied our opinions and ideas of ~FEMINISM~ are??
Such definitions vary from:

"Estrogen-induced sexism.
If she's got a vagina, she's better than you.
That's feminism."

to

"The belief that women are and should be treated as potential intellectual equals and social equals to men. These people can be either male or female human beings, although the ideology is commonly (and perhaps falsely) associated mainly with women."

I must admit, when I first heard of feminism (probably some time in my early tween years), I simply thought of rambling girls who complained about not being treated right in society. 
Over the years, my personal definition has substantially changed, and I attempted to educate myself by watching Youtube videos, reading articles (online mostly) and just chatting about it with my friends and family.



A few years ago, I would not have wanted to associate myself in any way with the word "feminism" because of how I defined it, and today I call myself a feminist.



I think much of my initial opinion stemmed from the views of outspoken feminists that had (what I now perceive to be) backward ideas about what they thought feminism was.
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the issue only really became obvious to me when self-proclaimed feminists forced their own views onto others. 
Which ain't cool in my books, no matter what controversial topic is being discussed.

Now, I don't mean to say "OH MY GOSH GUYS ONLY MY OPINION IS CORRECT, ALL OTHER FEMINISTS THAT ARE OUTSPOKEN ARE WRONG!"
In fact, I mean quite the opposite; feminism is what you make of it- as with any issue- it's just a matter of how you choose to voice your opinion.


-srisha

No comments:

Post a Comment